Thursday, October 4, 2012

Remember, it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month!

I'm not going to write a lot here, but I do want to remind anyone reading this that Breast Cancer Awareness is something that isn't relegated to October, though it's a great time to start learning and being observant! My mother-in-law is a survivor. She lost her mother and two of her mother's sisters to this dread disease. My MiL was diagnosed while my wife was pregnant with son #1. Thankfully, it was discovered early, as she was VERY diligent in keeping a check on things. She made it through treatment fine and will soon celebrate her 13 year anniversary of being cancer-free! God definitely still heals... To be as well-informed as possible, my wife had the genetic tests done. Though her sister is clear, my wife carries the gene for increased breast AND ovarian cancer risk. She debated what to do, worrying about what I would think. My response was (yes, crude, but I'm being honest), "Honey, I fell in love with you, not your boobs." She underwent a full hysterectomy and oophorectomy 5 years ago. The next year, she had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction...all by age 34. It wasn't that she wanted to have surgery, but rather that she was well-informed, knew her family history, the risks involved, and that she carried the genetic predisposition to become ill. Considering all of this, she chose to do everything in her power to minimize the risks and be around as long as possible for her family. Yes, it had an effect on us in many ways, but I am proud of her for being brave and selfless enough to do this. As I said before, I fell in love with her... I say all of that to say this - PLEASE, be aware of the risk factors, symptoms, etc. of breast cancer, and all cancers in general. Ladies (and guys too, actually), keep a check on things. Husbands/boyfriends/sons/fathers/GUYS, be supportive and remind them that they are too precious to ignore their health!

No comments: