Monday, October 1, 2012

Old Sayings and Timeless Wisdom

The other day, I was sitting and thinking. While this is a dangerous thing, it can sometimes lead to some good conclusions. I thought of my childhood and my grandparents. Living on a farm in *very* rural North Alabama, our days were busy! However, once most things were done and if the weather permitted, we'd find ourselves on the front porch. We'd sit in periods of companionable silence interspersed with tales of days gone by from my grandparents. My grandmother referred to these times as "sitting and watching the world go by." Now that I'm older, I can recognize the wisdom in this time. After the stresses of daily life, especially farm life where so much had to be done but so much was out of our hands, sitting and just watching the passage of time quietly was a good way of allowing the stresses of the day to dissipate. In addition, there were always new things to notice, smiles to appear spontaneously while watching a young squirrel play in a tree, or hummingbirds zip from flower to flower. It was a time to sit back and actually take notice in a new way, of the Glory of God in His creation. I miss those days. I struggle daily with the stresses of my own adulthood now. It is my hope that finally allowing myself to again indulge in my artistic side and those pursuits (which I will share with you, here) will be beneficial. Of all the ways I have tried in the past, I have yet to find anything that works as well as simply sitting and "watchin' the world go by." God bless you all.

No comments: